This site uses flash for videos. If you're having trouble enabling it, click on the information icon in the address bar to change your settings to allow Flash.
Linear Systems (Mixture Problems)
- 1Bess wants to make an almond cashew mix. If the almonds cost \($\)2.50/kg and cashews cost \($\)3.50/kg, then how many kilograms of each does she need to make 50 kilograms of mix that will sell for \($\)2.90/kg?
- 2Tea that sells for \($7.10/kg\) is mixed with tea that sells for \($4.50/kg\) to make 1000 kilograms of tea that will sell for \($6.19/kg\). How much of each type is used?
- 3Ben mixes regular coffee worth \($8.50/kg\) with premium coffee worth \($10.25/kg\) to make 250 kilograms of coffee that sells for \($9.34/kg\). How much of each type of coffee is used?
- 4Tyler mixes a 4% vinegar solution with a 9% vinegar solution to make 500 ml of 6% vinegar solution. How many millilitres of each solution are used?
- 5Dan wants to make 400 L of 25% acid solution by mixing 16% acid solution with 40% acid solution. How many litres of each should he use?
- 6How many kilograms of 8% copper alloy and 14% copper alloy should be combined to make 600 kg of 10% copper alloy?
- 7What volume in litres of a 20% sulphuric acid solution must be added to 60 litres of a 40% sulphuric acid solution to make a 35% sulphuric acid solution? $$ $$ (tough question!)
- 8What volume in ml of a 35% sugar solution must be added to 56 ml of a 60% sugar solution to make a 42% sugar solution? $$ $$ (tough question!)
- 9What volume in litres of distilled water must be added to 40 litres of a 30% acid solution to make a 20% acid solution? $$ $$ (tough question!)
- 10What volume in litres of distilled water must be added to 60 litres of a 80% acid solution to make a 32% acid solution? $$ $$ (tough question!)